Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) can be beneficial for diagnosing various knee conditions. An MRI can do wonders when the X-ray technique fails, or your orthopedic surgeon wants to look at conditions deeply. A knee MRI scan can help you find out the internal conditions of a human knee. You must get the details of Knee MRI scan cost before you opt for the service.
Your physician can order a knee MRI before a knee replacement surgery. Before you opt for an MRI of the knee, you want to know the cost of it as an MRI of the knee can sometimes be very costly.
What is an MRI?
An MRI Scan is magnetic resonance imaging, a medical imaging technique used in radiology to derive pictures of the anatomy and physiological processes of the body by using strong magnetic field gradients and radio waves to generate images of the organs in the body. It is also known as MRI radiography.
What is the procedure for a Knee MRI?
Knee MRI is nothing different from MRIs of other organs. Patients must let their physician know their current medical condition, if they are on any medications, or have any instruments in the body like pacemaker, etc.
MRIs with radioactive contrast dyes are considered unsafe for pregnant women, so you must inform the radiologist/ doctor beforehand about your current condition.
It would help to inform your doctor whether you are claustrophobic, as the MRI machine is enclosed. Sometimes doctors provide anti-anxiety pills to ease the discomfort of patients.
- Patients would be allowed to change themselves into a hospital gown before the MRI.
- The patient would be told to lie on a flat sliding table in the MRI machine. This table would slide in then the process would begin.
- The patient will be told to lie on their back, and the machine will start taking images. The technician and the radiologist will keep instructing the patients via a microphone.
- Patients will feel a whirring noise inside the machine, but they will not feel any pain.
- The test typically takes between 45 minutes to an hour. Once the technician has recorded the needed images, you can change back into your clothes and go about your day.
Your MRI will be completed with these few steps. Depending on the results, the doctor will advise you on other things.
In a Knee MRI, abnormalities would appear in white as the plate is somewhat similar to an X-ray plate which is black and white.
What are the risks of a Knee MRI in 2023?
There are hardly any risks after a knee MRI. The contrast dye will take some time to dissolve. Some patients allergic to contrast dyes might feel nauseous or tired after the MRI, but there is nothing to worry about. If any such problem continues for longer, consult the doctor immediately.
Why do you need a Knee MRI in 2023?
An MRI of the knees is required for various reasons, which are as follows-
- Any arthritis or degenerative joint disorders.
- Damage in cartilage, tendons, or meniscus.
- Decreased motion of knee joint
- Fluid build-up in the knee
- Problems after knee replacement.
How much is the cost of an MRI of the knee joint?
A knee MRI scan cost can vary because of the type of MRI one chooses. It is also essential to understand why MRI cost varies because the equipment used by different clinics and health firms is costly. Knee MRI scan cost will include the ink cost, the cost of the specialist, and the administrative cost.
- For High deductible patients, an MRI knee costs $1,200-$2,000 if done in a clinic. If done in a hospital, the same MRI will cost more than $3,000- $6,000.
- Patients with insurance will have to pay a little less for a knee MRI- $300 to $500 if done in a clinic and the same knee MRI, if done in a hospital, will cost around $1,000-$2,000.
- Cash patients have to pay an average of $400 to $500 if done in a clinic, whereas the cost of a knee MRI if done in a hospital, would be $500 to $2,000.
Note- the prices above are estimated prices and for education purpose only..
How can we get the cost of a knee MRI?
On January 1, 2021, CMS laid down the price transparency rule, which requires hospitals must publish their healthcare prices publicly. According to the mandate, the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services requires all hospitals to publish the total cost of 300 shoppable services on their website.
ZeaHealth is supporting the price transparency mandate and is on a mission to make healthcare shoppable as airline tickets.
We have created two key products to bring complete price transparency in healthcare.
ZeaTool– AI-powered price transparency engine that gathers hospital pricing data and converts them into a consumer-friendly format enabling consumers to know the costs before seeking care.
ZeaMed– healthcare marketplace where consumers can search and compare the real healthcare costs and know the costs ahead of time. They can make a well-informed healthcare decision with transparent prices in their hands.
If you are looking for a knee MRI scan cost, search for the prices at ZeaMed. You can look for cheaper rates for a Knee MRI through ZeaMed. You can visit the website to get the best services at an economical rate.