The gall bladder is an important organ as it is used to store bile juice which allows food digestion. Gallbladder removal surgery is performed to remove stones present in the gallbladder or if the gallbladder doesn’t function well.
Why is Gallbladder Removal Surgery Performed?
If tiny and hard fragments of deposits form in the gallbladder which interrupts its function. The fragments are so hard that they do not disappear on their own. The size of fragments varies, it can be as big as a golf ball or as small as a grain of rice. Depending on the severity gallbladder removal surgery is performed to avoid health complications like bile duct blockage or discomfort.
Surgery is done in 2 ways:
- The surgeon will make a 6-inch incision on the right side, under the ribs.
- The surgeon will draw back the basic tissue and muscle to disclose the gallbladder and the liver.
- The gallbladder will be removed and the organ will not be replaced with anything.
- The surgeon will close and dress the incision
It is a minimally invasive procedure:
- The surgeon will make an incision in the abdomen
- Through the incision, a camera will be inserted on one end of the tube to find the gallbladder.
- Other small incisions are made in the abdomen to insert surgical instruments
- Images are captured to guide the inserted instruments and remove the gallbladder.
Recovering After Gallbladder Removal
The gall bladder removal recovery period depends on the type of surgery.
Patients who have opted for laparoscopic surgery can be discharged on the same day. If there are any issues the surgeon might suggest an overnight stay.
Patients who have opted for open gallbladder removal spend 2-3 days in the hospital. After monitoring the signs of infection and healthy recovery the patient will be discharged. At home, the patient might require 4-6 weeks for recovery. There are some guidelines to be followed at home. Sometimes the guidelines vary from patient to patient. Few general guidelines are:
- Drink plenty of water to prevent dehydration
- Walking is essential to prevent blood clotting
- Change the bandages as per the directions
- Do not lift heavyweights
- Don’t wear tight clothes as it may affect the incision causing soreness and pain
- Wash your hands whenever you are touching the incision area
What are the Risks of a Gallbladder Removal Surgery?
The risks involved in the gallbladder removal are Bile leakage, Pneumonia, Blood clots, Infections, Heart problems, Bleeding, Injuries to any nearby organs during the procedure, Pancreatitis, etc
Are There Any Symptoms of Gallbladder Stones
The gallstones if small doesn’t show any symptoms, if they are large then they show the following symptoms:
Nausea, Bloating, Vomiting, Inflammation of the pancreas, Blockage in the bile duct, inflammation of the gallbladder, Fever, Pain, Jaundice, and Biliary dyskinesia
Signs of Complications After Removal of Gallbladder
There are certain signs of gallbladder removal complications.
1. Fever is around 101 degrees
4. Foul-smelling or bloody drainage from the incision
5. No bowel movement after 3-4 days of the surgery
6. Swelling or redness at the incision site
What Happens After the Gallbladder Removal?
The body functions normally after the gallbladder removal. There will be a diet to function the digestive system effectively. Diets include:
- Frequent meals in smaller quantities for smooth digestion
- Low-fat food for at least 3 weeks after the surgery
- High fiber foods
How much does Gallbladder Removal Surgery Cost
Gallbladder Removal Surgery pricing depends on the type of surgery. It generally ranges from $5,865 to $94,897. Some insurance policies may cover the charges, but that depends on your policy. It is important to look into the estimated costs and quality of service before you decide to have the procedure done. ZeaMed promises you the best services at affordable prices. It is at ZeaMed where you can find expert doctors and technicians so you can feel comfortable and confident through your procedure!
If an Open Cholecystectomy or laparoscopy is done there will be minor side effects. This procedure soothes a person with gallstones and other issues associated with the gallbladder.
ZeaMed, one of the leading healthcare providers, aims to maintain all the factors such as cost, safety, and quality. A team of expert professionals will ensure that you get the best results.
What else can be better than ZeaMed? Visit our website to check for discounts.
How much does gall bladder surgery cost? $5,865 or $94,897
Gallbladder Removal Surgery: Procedure, Recovery and Cost