Doctors often order MRIs to diagnose various conditions inside your body, like prolonged pain in a particular part of your body or for a further diagnosis after an X-Ray. Some orthopedic surgeons order MRIs called MRI arthrogram. If recently your doctor had ordered for the same, this blog is going to be helpful. The CPT code of MRI scan cost of the knee is 73721.
What is an MRI?
An MRI Scan is magnetic resonance imaging, a process of medical imaging technique used in radiology to derive pictures of the anatomy and physiological processes of the body by using strong magnetic field gradients and radio waves to generate images of the organs in the body. It is also known as MRI radiography.
How is a Knee MRI performed?
Let your doctor know what medicines you are taking as these medicines might interfere either with the contrast dye used during the MRI or with the results.
MRIs which are done with the radioactive contrast dyes are considered unsafe for pregnant women, so you must let the radiologist/ doctor know beforehand what your current condition is.
You must also let your doctor know whether you are claustrophobic as the MRI machine is an enclosed space. Sometimes doctors provide anti-anxiety pills to ease the discomfort of patients.
- Patients would be allowed to change themselves into a hospital gown before the MRI.
- The patient would be told to lie on a flat sliding table in the MRI machine. This table would slide in then the process would begin.
- The patient will be told to lie on their back and the machine will start taking images. The technician and the radiologist will keep instructing the patients via a microphone.
- Patients will feel whirring noise inside the machine but the patient would not feel any pain.
- The test typically takes between 30 minutes to an hour. Once the technician has recorded the images they need, you’ll be free to change back into your clothes and go about your day.
Your MRI would be completed with these few steps and you just have to wait for some time after the scan.
Depending on the results the doctor would advise you further things.
In a Knee MRI, abnormalities would appear in white as the plate is somewhat similar to an X-ray plate which is black and white.
What are the risks of a Knee MRI?
There are hardly any risks after a knee MRI. The contrast dye will take some time to dissolve. Some patients who are allergic to the contrast dyes might feel nauseated or drowsy after the MRI but there is nothing to worry.
If any such problem continues for a longer time, the doctor must be consulted immediately.
Why is a knee MRI needed?
An MRI for knees is required for various reasons which are as follows-
- Any type of arthritis or degenerative joint disorders.
- Damage in cartilage, tendons, or meniscus.
- Decreased motion of knee joint
- Fluid build up in the knee
- Problems after knee replacement.
How much is the cost for an MRI of the knee joint?
MRI scan cost can vary because of the type of MRI one chooses. It is also important to understand why MRI cost varies, it is because the equipment used by different clinics and health firms are costly. MRI cost will include the ink’s cost, the cost of the specialist, and the administrative cost.
- For High deductible patients, MRI knee cost is $1,200-$2,000 if it is done in a clinic. The same MRI, if done in a hospital will be more, that is $3,000- $6,000.
- Patients who have insurance will have to pay a little less for a knee MRI- $300 to $500 if done in a clinic and the same knee MRI, if done in a hospital, will cost around $1,000-$2,000.
- Cash patients have to pay an average of $250 to $500 if done in a clinic whereas the cost of knee MRI if done in a hospital, would be $500 to $2,000.
How much will my MRI cost?
Well, the cost would vary and you need to visit and get information about the cost of all the nearby clinics for the same service. This survey is going to be tiresome because every time you visit a new place you will be explained in their way how the cost would be allotted for a particular scan.
This is indeed a disadvantage of not having a transparent price rate all over the country. It is also important to note that low cost does not always mean the best services, although clinics keep on updating their MRI scan machine.
If you are a patient with knee problems like arthritis and your doctor had ordered an MRI, I hope it would not be quite pleasant and comfortable for you to just tirelessly find which service would suit you the best.
If you are looking for quality service along with cheaper rates, ZeaMed is all that I can suggest! Patients suffering from knee ailments, who need an MRI can blindly trust ZeaMed for reasons such as:
- Cheaper as compared to all your nearby healthcare providers.
- Excellent quality
- A team of professionals providing pre and post-scan advice and suggestions.
Visit the website to get the best services at an economic rate.