“The love of a family is one of life’s greatest blessings.” We are all blessed with families, whether it is our parents, grandparents, siblings, or that one friend we can always count on. And when things go wrong with them, it can be the worst place to be in. Families and couples can always consider family counseling under such circumstances.
The CPT code of family therapy is 90846/90847/90853.
What is Family Therapy?
Family therapy also referred to as family counselling, is a branch of psychotherapy that helps family members resolve issues and help each other out. A family, or a couple, having problems can always seek family therapy; it is similar to normal therapy. In this case, the therapist aims to help the family solve their internal issues, understand and handle special family situations – and provide a healthier and positive environment at home. These are some problems that are dealt with during family counselling:
- Personal conflicts within families
- Domestic violence
- Depression and anxiety
- LGBTQ issues
- Marital conflicts
- Unexpected illness or death
- Separation or divorce
- Behavioral problems in children
Types and techniques of family therapy
- This theory was developed by Salvador Minuchin. It focuses on five principles, which include a matrix of identity and the family structure among so many.
This therapy involves a variety of psychotherapy practices. The five stages are:
- Brief social stage
- Problem stage
- Interactional stage
- Goal-setting stage
- Task setting stage
- In this therapy, the individual is encouraged to be who they are, and use their skill set to deal with the problem. This helps them clarify and understand the problem.
- Communication has always been one of the main factors responsible for a healthy relationship. Good communication between family members or lovers evades misunderstandings and naturally maintains positivity. In this therapy, the therapist focuses on the communication part of it to resolve issues.
- In today’s time, men and women both are career-driven, which keeps them busy all the time. Misunderstandings and arguments may lead to additional stress, and it can be quite a strain resolving such issues. This when couples consider relationship counseling; this helps them figure out if they want to make efforts to resolve problems or move on.
- In this approach, the therapist examines the interactions between individuals across the entire family. The history and influential part of it is considered as well.
Why family counseling? What are the benefits?
- It helps you get to the roots of the conflicts amongst family members.
- It helps you start afresh and re-establish communication with the other members.
- It makes the family members deal with the problem while considering each other’s perspective.
- It makes the family respect and understands each other’s opinions.
- Makes them understand the value of each other.
- Provides a solution in a polite manner.
The aim of family therapy is to improve the functioning of the family unit and relationships in specific. A family unit consists of members who are involved in addressing the issues. The members may include uncles, aunts, grandparents, babysitters, spouses, etc. In this therapy, the family unit is seen as a whole. Hence, a family unit is made up of individual units, one damage to the individual unit may lead to the instability of the family unit.